Scientists and Engineers in Business is designed to help improve the business and management skills of entrepreneurs in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields by improving access to financing and/or providing business support services to successfully launch and manage start-up businesses in southern Ontario.
Applications are being accepted on an ongoing basis. Please refer to the links in the right-hand menu for detailed eligibility and application requirements.
Who is eligible?
- not-for-profit corporations located in southern Ontario currently engaged in entrepreneurship training and business skills development targeted atSTEM entrepreneurs
- Community Futures Development Corporations located in southern Ontario
- post-secondary institutions in southern Ontario that offer commercialization fellowships
What activities are eligible?
Post-secondary institutions are eligible for commercialization fellowship projects.
Eligible activities for not-for-profit organizations include:
- learning conferences;
- peer networks;
- one-on-one mentoring with a seasoned entrepreneur;
- web conferences or in-person entrepreneurship training workshops;
- non-repayable start-up financing to entrepreneurs; and
- professional services to assist entrepreneurs in launching their businesses (e.g., legal services, business registration support, patent drafting, market strategy, business planning).
How to Apply
The following instructions are to assist you in filling out your application for funding under Scientists and Engineers in Business. Please refer to the Initiative Guidelines to ensure your project is eligible.
- Open the Scientists and Engineers in Business application form (PDF, 291 KB, 4 pages) and select “Save As” at the top of the form. This will download the form to your local computer and allow you to save information as you complete it. Save your work often as you are completing the form.
Note: This application form in Portable Document Format must be completed using Adobe Reader 8.1 or higher. If you do not have Adobe Reader 8.1, you can download it for free on the Adobe Website.
For Mac users, please refer to the FAQ.
- Download and complete an Applicant Declaration on Lobbying.
- Prepare all supporting documents as described in the Application Checklist.
- Attach the Applicant Declaration on Lobbying and all supporting documents to your application form by selecting the “To add attachments” button at the top of the form.
- Once your application package is complete, make sure you are connected to the Internet and then select the “Submit” button on the last page to send your application form and supporting documents to FedDev Ontario.
- Once your application package is received by FedDev Ontario, the following notification will be displayed on your screen: “Your form has been successfully submitted to FedDev Ontario.”
- Please save and print a copy of the application package and the confirmation message for your records.
- Please print and sign the application form and mail the original copy to FedDev Ontario within 10 business days of submitting your online application:
Scientists and Engineers in Business
Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
101 Frederick Street, Suite 702
Should you require the application form or supporting documents in an alternate format, please email FedDev Ontario or call 1-866-593-5505.