Remember employers, applications to hire summer students will be available February 1st to the 29th. If past years are any indication, there are always more applications than there is funding. Regardless of whether you have never applied or have or have not been successful in past years, if you think your business meets the selection criteria, I encourage you to submit an application.
Canada Summer Jobs is a Government of Canada initiative that provides funding to help create summer job opportunities for students. It is designed to focus on local priorities, while helping both students and their communities.
Canada Summer Jobs:
• provides work experiences for students;
• supports organizations, including those that provide important community services; and
• recognizes that local circumstances, community needs and priorities vary widely.
Canada Summer Jobs provides funding to not-for-profit, public-sector and small businesses with 50 or fewer employees to create summer job opportunities for young people aged 15 to 30 years who are full-time students intending to return to their studies in the next school year.
The criteria to assess the proposals focus on:
• service to local communities;
• jobs that support local priorities;
• jobs that provide career-related experience or early work experience;
• jobs with a salary that contributes to the student’s income;
• employers who provide supervision and mentoring;
• project activities that are directed toward members of, and support the vitality of, an official language minority community; and
• employers who intend to hire priority students (students with disabilities, Aboriginal students and students who are members of visible minority groups).
Canada Summer Jobs Applicant Guide
To support employers, the Canada Summer Jobs Applicant Guide will be available online and at Service Canada starting February 1, 2012. This guide provides instructions on how to fill out an application, information on eligibility requirements and the assessment criteria. The application period for Canada Summer Jobs 2012 will be from February 1 to February 29, 2012.