With the busy summer season now upon us, be sure to take extra care on the roads and waterways.
It was a productive, orderly and hard-working session of the House of Commons. Our Government’s top priority continues to be creating jobs, growth and long-term prosperity. We are committed to achieving the right balance of appropriate resource regulation, strong social programs and job creation, while continuing on our path to fiscal sustainability.
We delivered on our Government’s commitment to Canadians to strengthen our economy and support Canadian families and jobs. Our Economic Action Plan is working. We have already seen the creation of nearly 760,000 net new jobs acrossCanadasince July 2009. Renfrew County continues to enjoy a higher than average employment rate.
In addition to passing Bill C-38, the Jobs, Growth and Long-term Prosperity Act which implements many important measures from Economic Action Plan 2012, our Government passed bills focused on economic growth that will:
- support the creation of high-quality jobs in the digital and creative sectors by modernizing Canada’s copyright rules;
- safeguard Canada’s economy by updating the laws which support Canada’s banking system and make it the soundest in the world; and
- strengthen Canada’s retirement system by offering pooled registered pension plans.
Our Government has also moved forward on its other important priorities, including legislation to:
- clarify the law on citizen’s arrest and streamline the laws on self-defence;
- protect Canadians by keeping our commitment to passing the Safe Streets and Communities Act within 100 sitting days;
- eliminate the wasteful and ineffective long-gun registry; and
- protect Canada’s immigration system by strengthening the refugee determination process and tougher penalties for human smugglers.
In less than six years, our Government has concluded new free trade agreements with nine countries: Colombia, Jordan, Panama, Peru, the European Free Trade Association (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland), and Honduras. Finding new markets for our Renfrew County farm producers is included with each new trade agreement.
Canada has also begun deepening trade and investment ties with the largest, most dynamic and fastest-growing markets in the world, including Brazil, China, the countries of the European Union, India, and, Japan.
Our Government’s economic policies have made Canada an island of stability in a troubled global economy. Valley residents can count on their Member of Parliament to continue to provide strong economic leadership and what you tell me matters most to you: jobs, growth and long-term prosperity.
As your Federal Member of Parliament, I am pleased to represent you on a variety of issues. Whether that issue is eliminating the long gun registry, promoting agriculture, international trade, AECL, the military or jobs in the working forest, I am here to serve you!
As always, if you have any concerns of a federal nature, or just want to share your views with me, please do not hesitate to contact my office.
Office contact Information: Constituency Office of Cheryl Gallant, MP,84 Isabella St., Pembroke On. K8A 5S5 or call 732-4404. There is no postage required when you write your Federal Member of Parliament.