On July 5, 2019, Ontario and Canada released a draft of a new Canada-Ontario Agreement on Great Lakes Water Quality and Ecosystem Health that will:
- Coordinate actions to protect and restore the Great Lakes
- Support the implementation of Great Lakes-related commitments in our Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan
- Advance actions in the Province’s Great Lakes Protection Act
- Align with the goals of Ontario’s Great Lakes Strategy
- Support Canada’s commitments under the Canada-United States Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement
- Respond to ongoing and emerging issues such as algal blooms, invasive species, and climate resilience
The draft new agreement is open for public comment until September 4, 2019.